5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is an amino acid that occurs naturally in some foods however, it is almost impossible to get sufficient quantities of 5-HTP from your diet alone. 5-HTP is an essential ingredient in the production of both serotonin and melatonin and it a vital component that allows the body to metabolize tryptophan.
Serotonin is an important hormone that regulates mood, brain function and mental clarity and it plays an important role in healthy weight maintenance. Melatonin regulates sleep and therefore has key role to play in the immune system as well as overall health and well-being. Insufficient levels of serotonin can lead to depression and anxiety, and insufficient levels of melatonin can lead to a suppressed or insufficient immune system. 5-HTP also functions as an anti-oxidant, protecting the brain and various other organs from free radical damage.
A high quality 5-HTP supplement should include various forms of magnesium to increase the amount of 5-HTP available to the body. Tryptophan is also an essential ingredient required to produce melatonin and serotonin. Some foods are high in tryptophan but to make sure you get sufficient levels of tryptophan, a supplement can be taken along with 5-HTP to ensure the body has all the requirements it needs to produce sufficient quantities of both serotonin and melatonin to keep your mind and body functioning at optimum performance levels.
A Safe Remedy for a Variety of Conditions
Ingesting the supplemental form of 5-HTP – which is made from the seeds of the African plant Griffonia simplicifolia - may improve numerous psychological challenges and pain-related disorders related to low serotonin levels, including the following:
· Depression. Certain studies suggest that 5-HTP may perform as well as SSRIs in treating patients with non-severe cases of depression. In one study, the effects of 5-HTP were compared to fluvoxamine (brand name Luvox) in 63 participants with depression. Those taking 5-HTP fared equally well to those given fluvoxamine.
· Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia brings a host of unpleasant symptoms to its sufferers, such as muscle pain, anxiety, morning stiffness, and severe fatigue. Researchers believe that increasing levels of serotonin can help those with fibromyalgia. 5-HTP was shown to alleviate these symptoms in three separate studies.
· Insomnia.5-HTP has been found to help patients fall asleep quickly and sleep more deeply. Researchers recommend taking 200-400 mg at bedtime to stimulate serotonin; note, however, that it may take 6-12 weeks for this regimen to become effective.
· Migraines and headaches. In some studies, a connection was found between high doses of 5-HTP and decreased pain associated with a variety of headaches, including migraines.
· Obesity. 5-HTP may be helpful in treating patients with obesity, according to several smaller studies. In one study, participants supplementing with 5-HTP took in fewer calories than those who were given a placebo. Some researchers conclude this is because 5-HTP led subjects to feel more satiety, causing them to eat less.
A follow-up study compared 5-HTP to placebo during a diet and a non-diet period. The results were that those taking 5-HTP lost approximately 2% of their body weight during the non-diet period and a further 3% when dieting. Participants receiving the placebo lost no weight.
Supplement with 5-HTP from CAMFormulas.com
To treat mild to moderate depression, headaches, and fibromyalgia, consider supplementing with 5-HTP from CAMFormulas.com. We offer 5-HTP from several manufacturers, including Douglas Laboratories, PhysioLogics, Karuna Health, Protocol for Life Balance, Pharmax, Metabolic Maintenance and Health Concerns. When you order this important supplement through us, you receive free shipping and our Price Match Guarantee!